Thursday, November 24, 2011

What foods are bad for a horse? Also, What are some good, simple treat recipes?

I need to know 1 of 2 things...


1) What is a list of foods NOT to feed your horse?


2)What are some simple horse treat recipes? Simple as in no special flour, yeast, grain, sweet feed, extra ingredients, etc. Basically stuff I can find in my kitchen(though we do have plenty of spices and fruits etc...)


Thanks, also, wondering, my trainer is putting down her old horse(Echo, 34)'s daughter, Showdown(20) tomorrow morning and I was wondering how I should "express my sympathy" I was thinking I would make a card, but I'm not sure what I'd write. I'm pretty close to my trainer(On long weekends I'll stay at her house so I can ride early and help put horses out etc.).


Btw, I really liked the horse too(I've worked with her some when I was learning to vault) and my trainer has had her since she was born(She bought Echo and the people were like "Oh yeah, by the way, she might be pregnant" So that's how that ended up)


Thanks so much!!!!!|||NEVER feed Apples. They can give colic. A lot of different weeds can give colic also. Even spring grass that is too fresh can cause a case of colic. Colic can be fatal!!!!





http://www.equusite.com/articles/health/鈥?/a>





As a kid I almost had a pony of mine DIE because a well meaning but IGNORANT neighbor dumped a whole bag of apples over the fence without our permission first. We didn't even know what happened until Trouper got sick. We had to "drench" him with 1/4 baking soda in 3/4s of PURE mineral oil and keep him up and walking all night long. THANK God there were four of us kids, plus our parents to take turns keeping poor Trouper from going down and rolling until he twisted a gut!!!





The BEST treats for your horse are Carrots or Alfalfa Cubes (if your horse doesn't get too "hot" from alfalfa...even too much of that can give colic. My Arabian couldn't handle it at all.). REMEMBER, though, that hand feeding can lead to bad habits such as nipping, biting, pushing, etc. Therefore, treats should only be given very sparingly!!!! Your trainer will most likely agree with me on this. ;)





http://www.infohorse.com/html/horsetreat鈥?/a>





I have always just fed plain old Purina Sweet Feed and Brome hay with GREAT results!!! (However, some horses can't even tolerate sweet feed.)





http://horse.purinamills.com/





Simply send a "Leanin' Tree" sympathy card if you want to express your feelings to your trainer about them losing their poor old 'pony'. Or get some ideas on how to make one of your own from their site:





http://www.leanintree.com/





You can find their cards in almost ALL tack stores and gift shops that cater to pet owners.|||hahahahaahhahahahhaha thats soooooooo stupid u can feed ur horse apples that is actully good for them u just cant give your horse more that 1 every 2 days or itll giv ur horse colic!!!!! my dad is a vet and he said u can give them to horses..... thyre actully good for them

Report Abuse


|||i agree! apples are perfectly ok! as long as its not too many!

Report Abuse


|||apples arent bad for horses..like its been said, its the volume that you give them in...i know lots of horses that love peppermints, carrots...had a horse that loved bread..like plain bagels and bread like that...i do know one thing that is extremely toxic to a horse and that is tomato plant leaves....there is a toxin in them that will kill your horse....|||a simple treat i give my horse is peppermints ,carrots oh yeah and apples i dont know what you should do i am sorry|||ya, apples arent bad for horses!!


they were practicly made for them!! lol


welll, chocolate is bad for horses, and if you feed them too much food, and if you give them too many treats, it can make them sick.


a card is great, u can either buy one, or make one, but i think that making one is better.


for a simple horse treat recipe, u can just throw some tings together, or like, chop up apples and dip them in molassas and then sweet feed.


or carrots or something.|||I give my horses a warm mash meal at night when it is getting cold out.


My horses get about three pounds of food at night and this is what I give them.


I ground my apples and carrots into a mash and put it with whole oats and bran wet it down with hot water till it becomes a mash and mix it completely with the apple and carrot mixture. Add two tablespoons of salt to the mix and mix.


Take it to them while it is still hot, portion it out to both horses and watch as they suck it down and look for more.


This will keep them warm at night and also keep them healthy as in bowel movements since winter time they do have a small problem with passing dung.|||Things not to feed: anything moldy/toxic plants, grass clippings.





Almost anything humans eat horses have been known to eat, the key is moderation. A whole bucket of apples could make a horse sick, not because of what they are, but the volume.





As far as what kind of treats to make, try cookies made with carrots or apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, oatmeal. Many horses also like licorice or mints.|||There is at least one thing I know you should never feed horses. Never feed them evergreen shrub clippings. They are toxic to them and will kill them. I know cherry tree leaves (not the fruit bearing cherry tree) are toxic to cattle, so they are probably toxic to horses too.|||I use dry pasta. Seriously!! Its cheap, easliy avilable, small amounts won't upset a horse's diet, almost all horse LOVE it (its crunchy) but it doesn't make them crazy, and they don't mug you for it.





Oh, and apples in small quantitis are just fine... as in ONE or TWO. Honestly, if a horse has a qhole bag of anything, he's going to get sick. We feed grain, but if sombody gave a horse a whole sack of grain at once, the horse would colic, but no one says "Never feed grain." But I do say, "don't feed grain unless the horse actully needs it.... and most don't" ;)|||well my horse likes pj samwichs|||Some odd things that some horses like that haven't already been mentioned:





(1) bananas (if you feed the peel, too, wash the banana first to get the pesticides off)


(2) fenugreek


(3) cherries


(4) pbj sandwiches (okay, so that one was mentioned, but it's just too fun to share a sandwich with your horse -- so I had to mention it again.) :)


(5) pretzels


(6) muffins (especially if they're made without eggs)





Try to minimize eggs in their diet (e.g., if you buy dry pasta for them, find some without eggs). There are a whole host of plants that are bad for them (but I think someone already posted them), but that's usually an issue of eliminating those plants from the pasture, not an issue of hand feeding them as a treat.





Wait until their ears are forward to give a treat, otherwise the horse isn't asking for the treat, it's demanding it.|||the simplest treats for a horse is apples and carrots. as for the horse being put down, why not a card ,u'd do it if it was a child or member of the family. if they have had the horse that long, it was a member of the family. . a card whould b very appropriate and extraordinarily nice. just write so sorry for ur lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment