Saturday, November 19, 2011

2000 Olympics - Women's gymnastics and the vaulting error?

I was watching some of the 2000 Olympics Women's gymnastics on YouTube the other day and came across the big "vault issue", ie the vault horse (I'm not a gymnast, so I don't really know the name of it) was set 5cm too low and so a bunch of girls fell on their landings.





From memory, I believe that the Olympic officials did not let these poor gymnasts re-do their vaults once it was set at the correct height.





I find that incredibly unfair and outrageous. It was absolutely atrocious that the vault was set incorrectly to begin with - but it seems that these gymnasts who worked all their lives for that competition were penalized for someone else's blunder.





Why were they not given another shot at the vault?|||It's either because thet say around places "it's no reason to not vault fair enough" or 'cause they didn't have enough time are my two guesses. My third guess is that they were just trying to be unfair. :(|||I believe they were given another chance to re-do their vault; however, some chose not to waste their time doing another one because they had fallen on another event, like Svetlana Khorkina. She fell on bars and her dreams of succeding in the individuals was over. But, it was unfair because falling on vault may have screwed with their minds causing them to fall on other events. =\|||i dont know but i know that one of the russian gymnasts hurt herself and she got last place

No comments:

Post a Comment