Thursday, November 24, 2011

How to stand up on a horse?

I've always wanted to try standing up on my horse's back like this:


http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http鈥?/a>


Anyone have any tips?|||Western pad, surcingle, neck rope around horse's neck or hooked to the surcingle to use for balance, long enough to reach while standing, helper to steady the horse and then lead it. Tennis shoes. Start on your knees, then go to half kneel, and then to standing. kneeling http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http鈥?/a>



And for heaven's sake wear a hard hat!|||Make sure your horse is 100 percent comfortable with movements and different pressure on her back. Then slowly rise when she's standing still after your comfortable standing up and down go into a slow trot and repeat. Then just a trot and repeat.





I've never gone into canter because the horse I rode at a really fast canter and I was nervous and I didn't want her to feel that when I was standing on her back.





Make sure to have some control of the horse at all times, for the first time I suggest a halter with a lead rope and a line around the horse neck.







Im begging you to wear a helmet, I was doing this at a trot horse spooked and I got a concussion, doctor said If i wasnt wearing a helmet i could of had serious brain injurys.|||Standing up on your horse's back is easy (as long as you know how to get him used to you doing it, which is also easy, if you know how. Done that many times!) Now, having said that, standing up on your horse's back as he's longed around at the trot or canter (or the walk, for that matter) requires really good balance and a lot of practice, I'm sure. The sport in the pic you linked is called vaulting, and it's a cool thing -essentially gymnastics on horseback. I've always wanted to do that, but never knew anyone who had the horses and equipment and skill to do/teach the sport. Some colleges have vaulting teams, and there's an excellent vaulting team called American Girls or something like that. It's very tough to make the team and you have to live there at the farm or ranch.



@ponygirl - I always like reading your answers! I used to do that, too to get the berries at the top of the bushes that no one else could reach!|||in that picture the person is vaulting. but if you would like to stnd on a horse just get a like bareback pad or western saddle pad and make sure your horse is used to in, and when you go to stand just keep your knees bent so if the horse walks off you keep you balence. or you can take vaulting lessons it is gymnastics on horse back i teach vaulting i love to do it and i think you will too.|||Try finding vaulting classes in you area. That actually is what that picture was. Vaulting. Its really fun and will teach a lot of really cool tricks!! If you alread ride it really helps your balance. If you dont, I dont know how they do it at other barns, but at my barn you dont ride untill you have done vaulting for a while.|||https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=鈥?/a> The second time i stood on her, and the second time she had anyone standing on her.



https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=鈥?/a>

Pro's now.



me and my friend were messing around with my horse, and we were running up and jumping on her and then we stood up on her. I do it all the time. I'm lucky my horse isn't a spaz.|||im a trick rider you can buy a hippodrome strap and use on a western saddle just to stand up but i reccomend getting a trick saddle see - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXG1KhQZd4g|||Carefully.



What's up with the TD's? Pissy pissy.|||I've stood up on a horse once during a vaulting demo. We used a proper vaulting roller which made it a lot easier and I felt fairly secure (though I still spend some time bend double hanging on the the roller with my bum in the air lol)



I think you'll really need either a vaulting roller or a trick saddle



@ Ponygirl - Does that count as standing on a horse? I suppose it depends how its done. I'm always far more in the tree than on the horse. I can beat you for stupid tricks though. I once climbed into a tree from a horse while I was on my own. The only way I could get down was to jump. On one side was a collapsed stone wall, and on the other the horse was in the way and couldn't move back because I had tie them to the tree. I ended up with bumps, bruises and torn breeches. I told everyone at the yard I had fallen off the horse, it was less embarrassing

No comments:

Post a Comment