Thursday, November 24, 2011

How to learn Vaulting,Dressage and Jumping?

Background/details:I have a tough situation where I'd like to learn vaulting,jumping,and dressage. Money is not that easy flowing so I cant just take lessons for each one every other day. I'm 13 and started horseback riding at the age of 11. I can ride English and western and can jump. I just want to compete in each discipline.[jumping,dressage and vaulting] Also my horse is a paint horse too. I have tack for English and Western and that's it. With my allowance I get 30 a month and go to the stable 3 days a week. Never done dressage or vaulting and don't know any gymnastics. I have a friend who can do gymnastics though.


Key questions: How to learn each sport? How to get money easily? Are clubs good and are they involving money?|||$30 dollars a month won't get you far. Is there a way you could get a job? I'm getting a summer job this summer to pay for things for my horse and to start saving up for a car, I'm 14. To get money easy=get a job.


Vaulting-for a start you need to get fit and start working on upper body strength.


-could you get gymnastic lessons or pay a drop-in fee to use gymnastics equipment-you would do the same things vaulters do on the pommel horse.


-it will be extremely hard to use a horse...your horse has to be trained. You need someone to lunge you and you need a special vaulting saddle and where will you find vaulting shows?





Dressage:


-Take lessons on how to get your horse into frame


-work on: collection, extension, leg yield, shoulder in, circles, flying lead changes


-tack: english saddle (for easy dressage levels an all purpose saddle will be okay but later on you will need a black dressage saddle)





Jumping:


-you will neeeeeeeed lessons. Could you have one lesson per week with on week being jumping and the other dressage?


-tack: english saddle, bridle=english tack.|||the only way to be good in a sport is to take lessons from a professional. I understand money is tight for you so if you are completely serious on this, i'd get a job babysitting or house/pet sitting or something along those lines. To save on money, just try to focus on one at a time. Doing all three would really load your plate. Maybe focus on jumping first since you already know basics.





clubs are really good ways to make friends that do the sport you are interested in. you'd have to check with the club for prices but must clubs just have yearly dues.





good luck!|||With horses you don't just learn a discipline and move on....


It's not like oh I learned how to play this song on the piano so now I can play this.


It is a never ending challenge for each and every riding discipline. There is always something to be learned or perfected. You never master it, there will always be a challenge and that is what I believe makes this sport so beautiful is that you can always learn something no matter what.


It seems you have a mindset of oh I rode in a western saddle, I can do western, and oh I rode in an english saddle and I can do english. And I think you think that if you go and jump a horse a couple jumps, and do maybe a easy dressage test at a show, and are able to jump on a horse and do a couple tricks on the horse, you are going to call your self a dressage rider, jumper, and vaulter. That is not the case. I would suggest to you that you invest in one you like. It is one thing if you want to try every discipline and see which one you like and then invest in one and strive to be better. But I do not think that is what you want. (If so I'm sorry) But based on what I've seen you just want to say you have done everything. I think that you need to spend your money on one discipline and strive to be the best you can be at it. Not just doing a couple lessons on each and calling it quits. You have only been riding for two years you have a lot to learn...


I'm not trying to be mean but I think you need to realize that its not just dressage, or just jumping, or just vaulting its a lot more than that....

No comments:

Post a Comment