Friday, December 2, 2011

I want to try vaulting on horseback.?

The only problem is I'm not a good, flexible gymnast. I have been riding for 9 years so I have no problem being on a horse but in your opinion, do you think I could do it? Not like competitively or anything. Just to try it?|||You would actually be very surprised at what you need and don't need in terms of flexibility and strength in order to vault competitively. I have competed competitively in vaulting and have a complete lack of flexibility (I can't touch my toes and am no where close to the splits), but I have developed a lot of strength, and so I use that to my advantage.





Vaulting consists of freestyle and compulsories and if you have been riding for 9 years or so you would actually more than likely pick it up very quickly. Also, rather than thinking of it as gymnastics, think of vaulting more as dancing.





Find a vaulting team in your area; it is becoming more and more popular and easier and easier to find a team. That way, you will be able to work with a coach and not have to worry about training or finding a vaulting horse, and buying the equipment and everything, which gets very expensive. Most teams offer vaulting to people who want to do it recreationally, but don't be surprised if you feel pressured to compete in team format.





I wouldn't label vaulting as really easy. It is actually quite challenging to vault correctly, and requires a great deal of strength, flexibility, and coordination. Not flexibility in the sense that you can do the splits (although for some things that comes in helpful) but flexibility in that you have a good range of motion. It is also really difficult to hold a stand on a horse, and do all of that, but it will make you a much better balanced and more efficient rider; just make sure you exercise outside of it if this becomes a routine part of horses for you, so that you don't become left sided.|||Vaulting is really easy and you don't need to be flexible at all! My barn has kids vault before they actually ride because it develops balance on the horse. Because you've been riding for so long it'll probably be no problem for you. I suppose it depends on what moves you do, but you don't really need to be really flexible. If your flexible enough to ride a horse, you should be flexible enough to vault!


Have fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment