Friday, December 2, 2011

How do I make it in the horse industry?

I want to be a certified vaulting, dressage and jumping instructor. I'm 13 right now.. How do I make it? Like how do I achieve this? Later on, I want to own a boarding stable too. I am starting to show this summer but I want to go far with it when I'm all grown up. Basically, I don't know what it takes, like what do you have to do when they say you must work hard? How many days must you ride? I currently ride 4 days a week and own a horse. I get dressage and jumping lessons every other week and vaulting on the days i don't get those lessons.Basically: vaulting one week and then the next jumping and dressage. I only get one lesson a week though.. (thats all my parents can afford.)I also excercise everyday and stretch. What else am I missing in my lifestyle that I could change? Tell me what it is, or what I can perfect. I also had planned on my dad video tapping me riding, and then posting the video on youtube for people to watch and critique.(regularly) So, anything else?|||well I'm 18 and I know I want to do something with horses for my career, so I'm in college majoring in equine science. I love it. It doesn't even feel like school. We work with horses all day. You also have to take your general education classes in college but it's totally worth it. You can't do anything without an education so go to college and major in equine science!|||Get the riding lessons. Stay and watch other people's lessons. Talk to your trainer.





There are horse magazines at Barnes %26amp; Noble, find one that focuses on dressage and performance and get a subscription (good Xmas present, hint hint) and follow that. You can write to their letters column in the magazine asking what's needed. See if there's anything online on Youtube about dressage training.|||well i am in the same place as you. i have my lesson on a sunday. and i just do what i did in my lesson throughout the week so i am better and we can progress more. but im not too sure what else you can do.|||You have to be the best. You have to practice at least 6 days a week, getting your horse in top competition form. You have to be insanely good, and be able to ride at a very high level. You also need to know a ton about caring for horses, tack, all that. And you need a ton of money to get started. The horse insdustry is not forgiving $$ wise, and you have to have a lot of money to start up and a lot of money to keep it running. If I were you, I would pick one discipline to really focus on and become the best at. If you love both jumping and dressage, you could do eventing. That way you could have the same kind of lesson every week, so you are getting much better than you ever would having them on a rotation like that.|||Try to take more than one vaulting lesson a week, with a certified instructor. If you want to get better at dressage and jumping, you're going to need to take lessons in those as well, or else you won't get any better. As my trainer says "Perfect practice prevents piss poor performance." Make sure that when you ride, you aren't just turning your horse and running at the jump or pulling your horse around a circle on the inside rein. Basically, pay attention to what you're doing. Try to do everything perfectly every time; your position, your aids, your striding, everything.





Believe it or not, there are actually equestrian colleges that people go to to become certified instructors, farriers, stable managers, etc. You could go to one of those after high school!|||Be at the barn WHENEVER you can.


Watch lessons, help out with work, do anything that involves the horses.


Gain as much experience as you possibly can.


Ride as much as you can.


Keep a riding journal and write down what you learn in each lesson.


Research, research, research.





Things you can research-


鈥?Equine Nutrition


鈥?Dressage


鈥?Jumping


鈥?Western (it may come in handy)


鈥?Veterinary Medicine


鈥?Training


鈥?Equine Behavior


鈥?Breeds


鈥?Horse Anatomy





Volunteer everywhere and anywhere. Join Pony Club. Just get experience!





When you are looking for a college-


You want to open a lesson stable when you are an adult, right? Go to a university that offers an equine business management (or anything similar) degree, and work your butt off to earn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment