Friday, December 2, 2011

Balance Exercise and Saddle Help, My Horse People?

Yeah. I already know a few things to do to improve my balance - but I need some more everyday exercises! I've been working on bareback for a little while, and although I can stick up there for a while at a walk and trot, I'm not ready to try a canter yet, and I'd like to work on my natural balance a little bit, first, anyway. I already know a few tricks (I worked with my exercise ball today and my brother and I were doing some neat bike work! I learned how to cross my legs and still ride, stand on the beam and still ride, turn one handed while standing on one leg, and I'm working on riding no-handed (hard!) as soon as I can get some training wheels on this other bike to practice with xD)





But I'd like to know if you guys have any tips/tricks that I can practice out of the saddle, in a vaulting pad (I do have one for use), and on my horse to improve my bareback position and balance.





While I'm at it - I have another question. This week I was riding in a different saddle than usual (I was riding a much shorter horse with a broader back than the TB I usually work with), and I have TERRIBLE saddle sores from the hard leather. Are there any ways to combat this? I don't have a full seated pair of breeches, so you know, but if it would help I can obtain some ^^





Also, I had a different instructor at the time, and she kept telling me that my left leg was pushed slightly forward at the heel. Usually, my leg goes too far back, so I'm wandering if the saddle could have caused this. Could it have? Also, I'm fairly certain that either the horse or the stirrup leathers were uneven, and that leather was the longer one (I couldn't put it up a hole without injuring my knee and putting myself even further off balance - it was my hour long lesson, and I have a problem wherein I dislocate that joint really easily o-o;) Could this have caused my wonky legs? I have new half chaps, too, but that's been HELPING my legs in the other saddle and bareback, so I don't think that was it.|||well, lets start off with your second question because that's easy to answer.


if the saddle was hard enough to give you sores and it was made out of hard leather, then chances are it is poorly made. (bad craftsmanship, poor quality, off balance) that in and of itself explains your sores and bad legs %26amp; posture. don't worry about it, just ride in a better made saddle next time.





now for every day balance in the saddle, try yoga. it is good for strength training and will help you sit more evenly and become more aware of your body.


http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/finder/鈥?/a>





another thing to help your balance is to do a lunge lesson.


(make sure whoever is controlling your horse is experienced)


http://horses.suite101.com/article.cfm/l鈥?/a>


http://www.tayloradams.org/youngridersbl鈥?/a>





you can also try things like 'around the world' and thigh stretches (be careful with this though)





thigh stretches are when you are in the saddle you reach your hand down, grab your ankle and bring your calf up to the back of your thigh. it looses your muscles and makes your ride primarily off of your seat. (no legs for balance) do this one leg at a time until you are comfortable to do both at the same time. can be done at walk though canter (only when your ready though) and should only be used on a dead quiet horse.








hope this helps %26amp; good luck!|||you should learn to correct your riding in the saddle your riding inn to look good. Or make sure you only use your saddle.





Are you saying your getting saddle sores on your legs from the stirrup leathers? that is good it means your riding with your leg in the correct position-get chaps!!





are you getting sores on your seat bones?? this is great! it means you sit correctly in the saddle! my trainer would ride several horses when she was little, and she has sores on her rear from her underwear indenting into her booty. get thongs! much more comfortable- Try doing more half seat work and post more at trot and canter.

No comments:

Post a Comment